IMPORTANT:? Load all documents in the My Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading before clicking Next.
If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please ensure you have all necessary documents available before starting.
The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have no field, type 'None.'
If you have previously applied, make sure your information is current as you can transfer it to another application.
Prior to submitting your application, verify all information for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources via email at
Job Title: Director of Conference & Event Services
Job Family: Management
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full time
Compensation Grade: 8S
Pay Type: Salary
Department: Auxiliary Services
Job Summary: The Director is responsible for the overall management, marketing and operations of facilities available for rental by the general public, which include the Younts Conference Center and others. Responsibilities include marketing and selling of rentable spaces, policy formulation, fiscal management, event management, food and beverage, advertising, security, production, maintenance and related operations. This position also has oversight of Summer Programs and Internal University Events.
1. Develops marketing strategies for the public facilities mentioned above. Builds relationships with other University personnel and departments to develop the Single Access Point concept the University would like to convey to the general public.
2. Perpetuates productive and cooperative relationships with civic organizations, private enterprise and university constituencies. Meets with prospective clients to provide professional planning services and ensures staffing and equipment are intact to provide the highest levels of guest satisfaction.
3. Oversees the scheduling and booking of public facilities. Aggressively promotes the use of these facilities to maximize their utilization, occupancy, and net revenues while resolving problems arising in connection with operational plans and schedules.
4. Directs, assists and oversees new business forecasting and the procurement of events. Negotiates contracts and agreements with a variety of clients. Establishes rate structures for meeting room rental, production services and coordinates food and beverage with on campus catering.
5. Directs and manages the logistics of internal university events. Works with various university committees and departments to plan and implement the details of each event. Assigns event tasks to department event planners as appropriate. The internal events include but not limited to the following: Commencement, Convocation, Board of Trustee meetings and functions, facility dedications, Furman Forward, Townes Lecture and Luncheon, MLK Events, American History Book Club Series, Retirement Luncheons, academic conferences and other as needed.
6. Oversees the financial expectations of the department. Administers budgets and develops additional revenue streams. Approves all expenses and oversees purchasing of equipment and supplies consistent with approved budgets.
7. Provides leadership and direction to ensure long-term productivity. Directs the development of policies and procedure that foster a team approach and encourages the highest levels of customer service, employee morale, safety and performance.
8. Completes performance review process with supervisor/employees to understand job performance expectations and how they fit into the department and university goals.
9. Communicates openly and recognizes contributions of co-workers and supervisor.
10. Follows safety procedures.
11. Pursues professional development to keep pace with demands for services and information; including maintaining up to date information about the department and university.
12. Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Auxiliary Services. The intent of this job classification description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions in this classification and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically present in this description.
Continuous contact with members of own work unit and immediate supervisor for planning, coordinating, problem solving, presenting information and suggestions related to mutual goals. Parties generally have cooperative attitudes.
Building relationships with university partners who manage facilities or provide services used by the department is critical to the overall success of the program.
Frequent contact with clients to justify or settle significant or controversial issues or parties that have diverse viewpoints, goals or objectives requiring solution through convincing, compromise or developing alternatives.
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
Direct supervision of 3 - 10 employees.
Director is ultimately responsible for every activity within the scope and mission of the department. The Director has final approval and full accountability for all fiscal matters, personnel matters and operational issues.
Tasks involve interpretation of data and/or procedures to address problems or situations that are not clearly defined. Work involves non-routine/diverse work not defined by procedures.
Reports To: Director of Auxiliary Services
Work is performed independently except where the interpretation of law, policy, rule, complex procedure or request for exception is required.
Bachelors Degree with 6 - 7 years experience in related field.
Thorough knowledge of principles and practices used in the successful management of multi-purpose special event facilities.
Ability to anticipate problems and implement immediate corrective action.
Ability to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting, weddings and Summer Programs.
Director should demonstrate significant professional experience in the meeting planning, preferably in the management of a multi-purpose facility.
Work is performed under usual office conditions.
Evening and weekend work required.
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Furman University is a selective private liberal arts and sciences college committed to helping students develop intellectually, personally, and interpersonally and providing the practical skills necessary to succeed in a rapidly-changing world. Furman professors are exceptional teacher-scholars who mentor undergraduate students within a campus community that values and encourages diverse ideas and perspectives.