The mission of the Meet Minneapolis, Convention + Visitors Association, is to positively impact the economic and social prosperity of our Minneapolis community by attracting visitors, meetings and events that directly support jobs and local businesses, and generate critical revenues.
As a non-profit organization, we are proud and passionate about being a key source of inspiration and information for the millions of visitors, event planners, convention center attendees and sports fans that are looking to come to enjoy all the exciting and diverse experiences that a visit to Minneapolis offers.
The Controller is responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. The Controller participates in presentations to the Board of Directors; finance and audit committee and works closely with the senior leadership team. The Controller leads all day-to-day finance operations including responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and grants administration. The Controller ensures that Meet Minneapolis has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. This position ensures legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions
· Supervises Staff Accountant and Accounting Associate
· Participates as a member of the organization’s Leadership Team
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
· Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
· Coordinate all audit activity.
· Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner
· Clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of Meet Minneapolis’ financial status.
· Assist Meet Minneapolis leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
· Support the Vice President of Finance & Administration in engaging the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
· Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; maintaining appropriate documentation
· Manage organizational cash flow forecasting
· Collaborate with organizational leadership to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations.
· Partner with the human resources (HR) and information technology (IT) staff to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, and IT functions.
· Ensure that policies, government and IRS regulations are adhered to.
· Other duties, as assigned
ESSENTIAL EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Four-year degree from an academic institution in Accounting or Finance or related area, CPA preferred.
· Five to seven years related experience in an accounting or related field including two years of supervisory experience.
· Ability to coach and mentor staff.
· Knowledge of budgeting processes, auditing principles and practices and ability to analyze and implement new internal controls.
· Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
· Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software
· Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus. simple reporting
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners
· Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
· Advanced knowledge of QuickBooks and other small business accounting software.
· Advanced skills in Excel and other Microsoft suite products.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Competitive Salary and Incentive Potential; Excellent Benefits Package
While performing the duties of this job the employee will be required to:
· Walk, sit, bend and squat
· Talk and hear
· Grab, pull or bend items
· Lift and/or carry up to 30 lbs.
· View items at a close and distant range
· Sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time
· Use computers for extended periods of time
· General office environment.
Note: Job Descriptions are not exhaustive lists of all skills, responsibilities, or efforts associated with a job. They reflect principal job elements essential for performing the job and evaluating performance. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than as an “at will” relationship.
Meet Minneapolis’ culture is inclusive and encourages the positive and mutually-beneficial development of our organization, industry and individual staff members. Our core values are Service, Collaboration, Inclusion, Passion and Integrity.