We are seeking an experienced, polished, organizational wizard with superior interpersonal skills and a service-orientated demeanor to serve as our Board Support Manager. This position will work closely with, and under the direction of, the Chief Legal Officer as well as our Corporate Secretary. In this role, you will organize all logistics associated with our board meetings, board annual retreat, and other functions, provide scheduling and travel assistance to our directors, and provide general support to our Board operations as needed. You will act as a trusted asset to Sallie Mae’s Board of Directors, and a liaison between the Board and management with a focus on communication, event planning, and ad-hoc project management. You can work with a variety of individuals while exhibiting composure, adaptability, and an extraordinary ability to anticipate needs.
You are comfortable working with multiple people who have a call on your time. Given the nature of the work, you must be available to travel and be responsive after business hours during key events throughout the year. You will provide comprehensive, proactive support to our directors – to handle all logistical and administrative details of the Board, and to ensure the directors have the best experience possible. You are committed to handling all your work with strict confidentiality, tact, and discretion. Commitment to our core mission, pride in delivering exemplary service, and a willingness to problem-solve are also essential to the role.
What You'll Do
• Manages all logistical details associated with board events, while proactively planning future events months or years in advance.
• Coordinates multiple schedules and prepares travel itineraries; arranges for all transportation, lodging, and other business needs for each director.
• Along with IT professionals, manages technical aspects of board experience, including set up and oversight of virtual meetings and tools, and at times coordinates or provides direct support to individual directors.
• Provides concierge-level service for all Board members.
• Builds, tracks, and maintains budgets for board programs and events.
• Completes expense reports for each director; interacts with Accounting as needed.
• Selects and manages vendors to deliver highest levels of quality at appropriate prices.
• Manages ad hoc projects as assigned.
What You Need to Succeed
Being focused on our customer helps us to deliver a lasting impression and instill trust. Through collaboration and teamwork, we are able to communicate effectively across departments leading to better decision quality. We hold ourselves to the highest standards ensuring accountability in all we do to deliver on our mission and shared values.
What You Have
• Associate’s degree in Communications, Hospitality Management or related field, or equivalent relevant on-the-job experience.
• 4-6 years of experience in high-end client service, executive administrative support, or hospitality or travel management.
• Experience with technology, particularly virtual events and MS Teams desired.
• Superb interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, and organization skills.
• Unparalleled attention to detail with excellent proofreading, grammar, and composition.
• Passion for excellence and great enthusiasm in providing exceptional service.
• Professional self-presentation and mannerisms.
• Ability to think several steps ahead and anticipate needs and challenges.
• Ability to provide prompt, clear, and tailored communications to the directors.
• Excellent customer service skills: exceed expectations; intuitively understand clients; and anticipate their needs.
• Strong technical competency, particularly with the MS Office suite.
• Ability to approach situations and people using tact, confidentiality, diplomacy, and poise.
• Solution focused; take ownership of requests; tailor solution to the member; be timely in follow-up; resourceful in information gathering and research.
• Ability to be onsite for all board meetings and events – approximately 10 per year.
• Ability to be available outside of business hours, by phone and electronically may be required.
• Accountability - Hold self and others accountable to meet commitments.
• Collaboration - Build partnerships and work collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
• Communication - Develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
• Decision quality - Make good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
• Instill trust - Gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Hospitality Management or related field.
• 7+ years working in an executive, confidential administrative position, reporting to a top officer, in which organizational skills, accuracy, diplomacy, versatility and flexibility were required.
• Work experience in the hospitality industry.
Internal Number: R03004
About Sallie Mae
We’re a bank that believes in the power of learning, wherever it may happen
You’re on your own path, moving toward what’s ahead. We’re here to support every learning experience—whether it’s in the classroom or out in the world. With products like private student loans, credit cards, and savings accounts—plus our financial tools, resources, and information—we empower people to do great things.