Memorial Union - Event Management Office Supervisor
Iowa State University Memorial Union
Location: Ames, Iowa
Type: Full Time
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
Salary: Pay Grade: PS807
Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:
• Retirement benefits including defined benefit and defined contribution plans
• Generous vacation, holiday and sick time and leave plans
• Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa)
• Life insurance and long-term disability
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Various voluntary benefits and discounts
• Employee Assistance Program
• Wellbeing program
4 Year Degree
Internal Number: R9638
Leads, plans, coordinates, publicizes, and implements mid to large-scale events. Markets event venues and event planning services to generate revenue.
The Memorial Union at Iowa State University is currently seeking highly motivated and customer service-oriented candidates to serve as Event Management Office Supervisor for the Event Management Office. The Memorial Union is a 316,713 square foot multipurpose facility which is the center for student life, co-curricular activities and serves as the meeting space for the campus and local Ames community. Opening in 1928 the MU was established to honor and serve the students that attend Iowa State University. The Memorial Union is home to 27 meeting spaces ranging from Ballrooms to small meeting spaces where on average 13,000 reservations are held, a food court, office spaces for over Division of Student Affairs and Academic Affairs services, an 8-lane bowling and billiards alley, an art studio, a food court, and a 600-stall parking ramp.
The Event Management Office Supervisor is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Memorial Union Event Management office utilizing principles of the Servant Leadership Model standards, invoicing/budget management principles, as well as implementation of policies and procedures regarding collecting and communicating the needs of MU customers via Event Management and Room Diagraming Software to Event Operations Staff. In addition, the Event Management Office Supervisor serves as the primary event coordinator for large, high profile and logistically complex events/conferences hosted at the MU, examples include Experience Iowa State, University Orientation, Board of Regents Events, and ISU Foundation events. This position supervises a dynamic team of two Event Coordinators and 6-8 student staff members.
The successful candidate must have excellent customer service and relationship building skills, strong leadership and communication skills. The ability to demonstrate experience in building professional relationships with student staff, professional staff, etc. Can demonstrate a history of building positive team morale, validating individuals and the work of the team. Empowerment of the team and helping individuals build self-accountability through open communication and clear directives is of utmost importance. The candidate must possess the ability to implement and manage the electronic reservation and room diagram software systems. The duties of this position will sometimes require physical setup work as well as work outside of normal office hours.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Directs and manages the daily business operations of the Event Management Office.
• Collaborates with the Assistant Director for Operations to oversee the development and management of the Event Management Office Budget.
• Serves as primary event coordinator for large, high profile, logistically complex events/conferences hosted within the Memorial Union.
• Assesses and analyzes event and reservation trends and pricing; and recommends changes or improvement to the Assistant and/or Associate Director of the MU for Operations.
• Collaborates with MU Operations Team and other staff members to ensure high levels of service for building events and spaces.
• Provides leadership and supervision to the professional staff and students of the Event Management office.
• Manage the electronic reservation and room diagraming software.
• Responsible for invoicing and bid proposal for event held within the Memorial Union.
• Oversee the planning and implementation of internal departmental initiatives to include the MU Wedding Expo, MU Housing Fair, etc.
• During pique event times, will assist with completing room and/or event setups.
Example of Duties • Plans, coordinates, publicizes, and implements events, conferences, conventions, meetings, etc. • Facilitates event production. • Coordinates logistics such as electrical, custodial, staging, lighting, sound, concessions, catering, security, transportation, and safety. • Coordinates event staffing, which may include hiring and supervising event staff. • Consults with clients on event planning. • Coordinates contracts and letters of agreement for services and events. • Markets services and venues to generate revenue. • Creates strategies to increase utilization, events, and services. • May assign work to other support staff.
Level Guidelines • Intermediate-level position with solid professional and/or technical skills working under general supervision to achieve goals • Applies broad, working knowledge of the principles of the field to moderately complex, difficult, and varied problems and issues • Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action and resolve problems • Responds to a broad range of inquiries and requests • May provide training and/or direction to lower-level staff • May lead projects of moderate scope and complexity • Provides guidance to students
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of related experience
Experience managing and implementing events Experience using social media outlets for professional purposes Demonstrated written communication skills Familiarity with and/or knowledge of ISU policies and procedures Experience with revenue generation and strategies