Job Description Summary
The Business Support Center performs a wide range of administrative support related tasks that contribute to the overall smooth operations of diverse functions while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and professional. This department positively represents the University by providing outstanding customer service when responding to the needs of campus clients and external contacts.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Provide administrative support for daily functions including answering phones and directing non-routine questions; receive and route mail; manage email accounts and request tracking system; compose routine correspondence; draft replies to non-routine inquiries; record minutes for departmental meetings.
2. Provide administrative support in the coordination and development of special projects including websites, social media pages, posters/displays, marketing and training materials.
3. Process payroll information including new employee paperwork, manual time sheets, and creating Electronic Personnel Action Forms (EPAF's) for all new hires, separations, wage increases, etc.
4. Receive and process payments for internal and external customers.
5. Process gift card, guest meal pass, departmental charge, and refund requests.
6. Process invoices, budget transfers, check requests, purchase requisitions, and reimbursements.
7. Provide information and run reports from a variety of sources including maintenance management systems and accounting software.
8. Process reservations for meeting and guest rooms.
9. Act as a liaison for departments and student organizations located within the Memorial Union Building.
10. Maintain Memorial Union lost and found items.
11. Receive and approve internal postings and table tents.
12. Maintain inventory for department supplies.
13. Provide updates to department webpages and electronic display systems.
14. Provide backup support for the Cash Hub and Events Planner and Site Manager.
15. Input work orders into Maintenance Direct.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
- High school diploma, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
● Three years experience in clerical or administrative support.
● Three years experience using personal computers and basic software packages such as Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite.
● Three years experience in a customer service setting.
● Experience using intermediate and advanced features of Microsoft Office Suite for word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations.
● Experience managing PDF files and integrating them into other formats.
● Experience with accounting and payroll procedures and processes.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
● Bachelor's degree, or an equivalent combination of education and
● Experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
● Experience using Publisher, Adobe Creative Suite, Content Management System, and Banner software.
● Experience working in higher education.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
● Excellent interpersonal, customer service and oral/written communication skills.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively under conditions with frequent interruptions and meet established deadlines.
● Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks with attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
● Demonstrated ability to independently organize and prioritize work assignments in a complex work environment.
● Demonstrated knowledge of proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
● Demonstrated ability to work independently and take the initiative to solve problems.
● Demonstrated ability to use judgment when dealing with confidential information.
● Demonstrated ability to learn new software and computer-based applications.
● Demonstrated ability to effectively adapt to change.
● Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team and contribute to the overall smooth operation of a service environment.
● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
● Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
● Demonstrated understanding of safe operating and maintenance procedures.
● Demonstrated ability to independently organize and prioritize customer service and organizational work assignments.
● Demonstrated team building and networking skills.
● Knowledgeable in Lean processes and continuous improvement efforts.
● Experience using Publisher, Adobe Creative Suite, Content Management System, and Banner Software.
● Experience working with processing, reconciling, and reporting financial transactions.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance; and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, or feel an object; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, occasionally lifting and/or moving up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision; depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet, humid conditions; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold (non-weather); and extreme heat (non- weather) and may be exposed to the risk of radiation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
- Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
|Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%) || |
Contractual. External candidates will receive the minimum amount ($14.25/hr).
Title of Position Supervisor
|Internal & External Posting |
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
UAW Posting 12/8/2022 - 12/14/2022
External applicants are encouraged to apply, however internal UAW applicants are given first consideration if they apply during the internal UAW posting dates.